Friday, October 5, 2012

Book #32 The Road from Coorain

So, apparently I was a liar. A really really big liar. I'm sorry!!! I am so so so sorry!!!
I told you that I would finish reading the extensive amount of 6 pages from The Road from Coorain. Instead, I had a sudden desire to create a stop motion movie using silly bands.
I did finish the book though! I finished it on Wednesday morning, but being the kind of person who likes to procrastinate, I am writing this now, during my free period.
The Road from Coorain (written by Jill Kerr Conway) was a book that was different from anything else that I've ever read. It's  a memoir of a woman who grew up in the bush of Australia and the emotional battles she went through throughout her life. There were battles when her father and brother died, there were countless numbers of emotional thoughts that went through her head as she learned about bias against women who wanted to establish themselves in the educational world.
I loved the writing in the book. The narrative was amazingly clear. She expressed her emotions perfectly. I got angry when she was angry. I became frustrated when she was frustrated. I love that kind of writing.
I don't know what I would do if I was in Conway's situation. I don't think that I could stand to just watch other people learn while I was supposed to sit and not be educated. It was incredibly frustrating for Conway, and it would be incredibly frustrating for me. Thankfully I go to a school and live in a time where education is highly valued (though apparently Governor Corbett doesn't want to pay for the education of the young people in Pennsylvania). Though, in the end, Conway became the first woman president of Smith College, so she sort of shoved that in the faces of the people who tried to limit her education.
Then there was the incredibly sad part of Conway's relationship with her mother. I loved the mother in the beginning. She was kind and caring, but as Conway became older, her mother became crankier and crankier. In the end, I could feel Conway's frustration with her mother's ideas and worries. I felt sorry for her though. She was a person scarred with emotion from her husband and son's deaths, but I didn't like how she reacted to the deaths, and how the deaths seemed haunt her throughout her life, and she never got over them.
The Road from Coorain gets a 4.5 out of 5 stars.

I apologize for my lack of blogging. I will try to blog more starting on Monday. I won't be able to blog this weekend because I'm going SCUBA DIVING!!!!!! I'm soooo excited!!!!!! We will be diving 4 times, one of which is a night dive. We're going to Ohio, the state that is full of nothing but cornfields. We'll also be camping overnight, and woods don't get internet access, so that's why I won't be able to blog. I promise though, that I will get back on track on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment