Monday, August 20, 2012

Book #30: El Principe de la Niebla

If you haven't noticed, the book that I just finished was not in English. It's in Spanish.
Turns out when you're going in to spanish 4, you have to read a spanish book for summer reading. Though, I have to say, out of the books I had to read for the summer, this one was my favorite.
El PrincĂ­pe de la Niebla is written by Carlos Ruiz Zafon, and I think that it's a book intended for middle schoolers, or so.
It was about a thirteen year old boy named Max who moved into this house next to the sea. This house had an odd history. The son of the people who had lived there before Max had drowned while playing. Max experiences a lot of odd things, and his sister Irina ends up in a coma. He then, along with his friend Roland, and his sister Alicia, has to find out what really happened in this town.
The book started out similar to The Bogart by Susan Cooper. It ended with some fight between Max and a Rumpelstiltskin-like character. I call him Rumpelstiltskin because he will grant people's wishes in return for something else. I always like those types of characters. I'm a fan of Rumpelstilstkin on the show Once Upon a Time. 
Yes, there were some issues with the language. I am not fluent in Spanish (yet), so every now and then I had to look up words in my dictionary. There are some words though, that I just can't seem to remember. Volver is an excellent example. I marked it down in my book countless times what it meant, but I just kept on forgetting. I've read that word, used that word, but I don't remember what it means.
As I said before, I liked the book. I think that it was interesting and a bit creepy. I liked the setting, and the descriptions of the setting. I always like lighthouses.
While I was reading this book, I was often struck at how similar it was to the books that I normally read. I don't know why this should be a big deal, but I think I was expecting a little something different.
So, overall, it was good. 4 stars.

2 comments:

  1. What does volver mean? If you do it again, is that a revolver? Shoot, I shouldn't have used that pun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you just get a Belgian reader? That would be me!

    ReplyDelete