Thursday, August 2, 2012

It Really Wasn't That Simple...

I started off the day wanting to just rest and read Pride and Prejudice, but that was not to be. Instead, I have spent the whole day working on the third floor closet that I've been decorating. You might remember me trying to paint this room last month.
I thought that it would be cute to have shutters for my shelving, so I got some shutters at Construction Junction, the best junk store ever. I thought it would be simple to attach the shutters to the wall, but boy, was I wrong!! I wanted to get these brackets that I found at the store Anthropologie, but just like everything else at that store, it was really expensive. Instead, I had to figure out a way to make my own brackets so the shelves would stay up. Ugh. I thought about it for like a week, and finally came to the conclusion that I should use bannisters to keep the shutters up. I would have a shutter attached to the wall, and then have another shutter placed like a shelf on top of that, and then there would be a bannister making the third side of this triangle, which is basically what a bracket looks like. So I went to Construction Junction again, bought the bannisters, and then had to figure out how to attach them to the shutters.
Thankfully, my dad, someone who is used to doing projects around the house, helped me out. We spent all morning working on cutting the bannister to the right length, and attaching it to the shelving. Then there was the issue, that, because our house is a century old, the walls are made out of plaster, and if you want things to be stable on a wall, you have to go through a stud in the wall. It was really a guess-and-check sort of thing. I think we drilled seven different holes before we actually hit a stud. Once it was done, though, it looked amazing.
I had two other shutters that I needed to put up, but they were a different size, so we couldn't do the bannister thing all over again.
Of course.
That would be too easy.
We made a trip to Lowe's, and got the right materials, and came back home to finish the job. We ended up putting the shutters up against the wall, and holding them up with a chain. We also put mini brackets under the shelves, so it would be more stable.
So now it's like four thirty, and we just finished up the shelves. We were trying to put some doorknobs onto the walls (because that's cool) but that didn't work, because the way that the doorknobs are made, they just don't want to go into the wall like that. They want to go into some drawers.
I have to think about how I'm going to accomplish that task now. We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

  1. You must have an awesome dad to help you with all that project stuff.