Friday, August 17, 2012

Sturbridge Village

So we did end up going to Sturbridge Village!
Sturbridge Village is like Williamsburg, except it's a different time period. It's smaller, and there aren't as many national historic places in the village, but it's a place where you get to see what life would have been like in the 1830's.
I guess I was expecting something a little different. Maybe a little bit more lively, I suppose, but overall, the village did seem dead.
We came into Sturbridge at about noon, and after some issues at the ticket booth over my dad's military experience and me working at the CMNH, we went into the village (we did get a discount, but only because my dad worked in the Air Force. Nothing to do with me working at a museum).
The place reminded me of Little House On the Prairie, which I watched a lot of when I was second and third grade. When we got in to the village, we immediately saw a group of little girls dressed in colonial era clothing, holding baskets and going to school.  I immediately became very jealous of them. I think it was some sort of experience-colonial-era camp, but it seemed awesome, and I'm sending my kid there when she/he is old enough to go. I think the clothing of the era is adorable, and I still have my Laura Ingalls Halloween costume from the second grade.
We went around the village, and talked to the tin shop man, the shoemaker, a blacksmith, a cotton mill person, and saw the people run the sawmill. I particularly enjoyed the blacksmith. We watched him make some legs for a trivet, and it was awesome. We also went to see a printer, but it wasn't as cool as the Edes & Gill printshop, mostly because the printer wasn't as sophisticated as the other one, and he didn't seem to love what he was doing.
As I said before, the place wasn't very crowded. There were probably only about fifty other visitors there. I guess the early morning thunderstorm scared them off a little.
That afternoon, we got into the car to start driving back home. My parents kept on talking about driving through the night, which is fine by me because I wouldn't have to stay up and drive, but eventually we stopped for a hotel.
The hotel was really nice. The bed was comfy, and I did some high jump practicing onto the bed. Later, I discovered that the soap in the bathroom was Nutrogena brand, and the shampoo, conditioner, and lotion were all from Bath and Body Works (AWESOME!).
We woke up yesterday morning to drive for six hours so we could get home. I think there were some traffic issues along the way, but I wouldn't know because I was watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Enchanted on my dad's iPad.
Now we're home. I hate unpacking, because we have to run everything through the laundry, put everything back where it was, and discover that we took all of the good food with us on the trip and ate it.
So now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go fold some laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment