Friday, August 3, 2012

I Am the Gum Monster

I am not the Cookie Monster. Or the Veggie Monster.

I am the Gum Monster.

Two years ago, when I got my braces on (aka the worst day of my life), I promised myself that I would not chew gum until I got my braces off. It was a good plan, I didn't get in trouble for chewing gum in school, and if I needed to freshen up my breath, I would just eat a mint.

I did that for two years. Two years. I didn't think that it would be possible, because even if people have braces, they still chew gum, but I was one of the few who didn't chew the gum. 

I got my braces off in June, and since then, have been catching up on my gum chewing. It's bad. Gum isn't the worst thing in the world (at least it's not as unhealthy as movie theater popcorn), but I think I'm going over the top. Just five minutes ago, I was chewing gum. I feel like it's become one of those things that I just do because I can, and that's not a good thing!!! Don't do things just because you can! Have another good reason. "It's fun" is always a good reason.

Chewing gum isn't fun though. I think I've gone over the edge. So, I will make a resolution. One strip of gum per day. For a whole week, and then from there, I'll make another resolution about how much I can eat. And for each time that I go over my one strip per day quota, I will read one chapter of Great Expectations (if I eat two strips extra, I will read two chapters of GE). That will be the worst punishment ever. So I won't do it. 

Someday, I'll talk about my hatred for Great Expectations, and why I hate it. But not today. 

 Today, I will tell you that the forest fragmentation exhibit will open at the Carnegie Museum of Natural History on the 25th of August, 2012. The teen docents are currently working on it, and it sounds like it'll be a pretty cool exhibit. 

We'll see if I can do this challenge. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...just wow. Gum isn't actually that bad. Unless, of course, you happen to be chewing sugar gum. In that case, I agree with everything said here. But if it's sugar free, then it's really not that bad, it's okay to chew gum just because you can! But, your punishment is hilarious, I must say.

    ReplyDelete