Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Book #31: The Perks of Being a Wallflower

I have wanted to read this book for a long time. I had heard about a year ago that it's a really good book. Then, the movie's coming out, AND I GET TO GO TO SEE A PRE-SCREENING!!!!! I was excited when I actually got the ticket this morning, and I am now super super super excited now that I've finished the book.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower, written by Stephen Chbosky, is about a freshman boy named Charlie. He's sort of a child when he enters high school. He meets two seniors, brother and half-sister, named Patrick and Sam, who become his best friends. Charlie also has a teacher named Bill, who lends him books to read and then asks him to write essays about them outside of class. He decides to learn as much as he can by "participating" in life, and this book is the result of his experiences. It's written in a series of letters, addressed to a friend, and it's very similar to a diary. I just assumed that, the way the book was written, the letters were addressed to the reader, but from reviews I've read and stuff, that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm not sure.
I thought it was amazing.
It was a very honest book. Or at least, Charlie was honest. He didn't seem to hide anything, or seem to dull the truth at all. I loved the characters, except maybe Mary Elizabeth because she talked to much, and didn't care what Charlie thought. My favorite character by far though, was Bill. It was awesome the way that he treated Charlie and pushed him to read more and write better essays. I especially liked the part when Charlie went over to Bill's house, because it was very touching. I guess I just liked their relationship.
I also liked Charlie a lot. I liked the way that he was so selfless. He didn't want to see his friends get hurt, and when they did get hurt, he would go and help them. Charlie wanted to be a good friend. He didn't push anyone to be his friends, and he understood why people acted different ways. He understood why Susan had changed over the summer and he understood his sister.
I loved the book, and hopefully I love the movie. The movies are never ever ever as good as the books, but I can always hope that they'll be. It's got a 7.7 out of 10 on IMDb, so I think that it'll be good. I'll probably end up reviewing the movie as well.
Perks of Being a Wallflower gets 5 stars out of 5. This doesn't happen very often at all. That privilege goes to the group of amazing and wonderful authors that includes John Green, Veronica Roth, John Green, Markus Zusak, John Green, Orson Scott Card, John Green, and now, Stephen Chbosky.

In other news, my Spanish teacher didn't tell our class (of three people) that we are going on a field trip tomorrow. Now I get to miss my two favorite classes, English and Sculpture. He didn't tell us!!!! He gave us no information, no nothing!!! I'm mad.

Also, my parents got new credit cards today. My dad's has an American flag on it, while my mom's has a Japanese flag on it. Wow....

No comments:

Post a Comment