Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Book #26: A Million Suns

A Million Suns by Beth Revis is the second installment in the Across the Universe trilogy. I finished Across the Universe before I started this blog, and didn't even know that it was part of a trilogy. The third book hasn't come out yet, but I'm pretty excited for it. 
Since it's going to take forever to explain the plot of the first book, I have a link here that will explain. But I will write about the plot of the second book.
A Million Suns takes place about three months after the events of Across the Universe. People have been living without the Phydus (a drug that made people do work and not think for themselves), and  the people believe that they don't have to work. Elder deals with the pressure of staying in control.  Amy, still looked on as an outcast, discovers some clues that Orion left for her, telling her about the biggest secret of all (I thought that the secret in the previous book would be a big deal, but no, this is much much bigger). There are also a lot of revolts as people want someone else other than Elder to lead, and there are some murders as well. It's like a mystery novel. 
I was actually kind of surprised that there was a second book, mostly because the first book ended on such a good note. The "bad guys" were taken care of, and it didn't seem like there were many more problems that could occur. It's the start of the second book that really grabbed me. Practically everything on the ship is a lie, and both Elder and Amy have to figure out what the lies are to make this ship land. 
I really liked the character Orion. He's someone who hid from Eldest for the truth, but couldn't make the decision to publicize the big secret. I liked the way he hid most of his video clues to Amy. Even though he was regarded as a "bad guy," I think that he had a reason to be the way he was, and I liked him, even though he didn't have to be so extreme with his decisions.  Another thing I liked was the ignorance of all the people on board. They didn't want to see the truth, because they believed that the truth was a lie. It's a good example of the fact that if everything you hear is a lie, then, you'll never think anything is the truth, and you can't trust anybody ( I don't like ignorance at all, but I think it was a really good  part of the plot). 
I couldn't stop reading this book. Every chapter had a cliffhanger, and I was always wanting more, which is what you want when you read. The writing was really good, and I also got a clear picture of what Godspeed looked like. 
I'm looking forward to the last book, Shades of Earth, which will come out in January 2013. A Million Suns gets a 4.5 rating out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment