Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Rule and Hugo

We have a rule in our family, called The Rule (totally original title).
The Rule states that I (and this usually only applies to me) must read the book first before I see the movie that it was adapted from. It's a good rule, and other than the fact that it only applies to me, I don't really mind it, because I usually do read the book before I see the movie. That's actually what motivated me to read Harry Potter, and later motivated me to read The Lord of the Rings.
The Rule really isn't that enforced anymore. The thing is, I feel bad whenever I read the book after I already saw the movie. I did this for The Help, and I didn't enjoy the book as much as I think I would have if I had read before I saw the movie.  It still was a really good book, and it made it onto the Top 25 Favorite Book list.
I don't really remember who came up with The Rule, but I just remember that that rule always applied to everything. When I was a smaller kid, I just remember that YOU NEVER EVER BROKE THE RULE.

After I published my post yesterday, I realized a big mistake: I forgot to talk about Hugo. Hugo is adapted from one of my favorite books, The Invention of Hugo Cabret. The book is really two-thirds pictures, but it is really good. The movie, I also thought, was really good. It starred Asa Butterfield, Chloe Moretz, and also starred Ben Kingsly (who is also going to be in Ender's Game!). I didn't see it in 3-D, and I wish I had, because from what I read, the effects were done differently than in regular movies with 3-D (I'm not a fan of movies in 3-D). I thought the acting was superb, and also, from what I remembered of The Invention of Hugo Cabret, some of the shots from Hugo were positioned so that it was identical to the pictures in the book, and I thought that that was really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment