Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ukulele!!

As a musician, I do have a lot of quirky instruments in my house. The one that I'm going to talk about today though, is my ukulele.
I got my uke for my birthday last year, and I love it! It's a Mahalo ukulele, and it is awesome. I'm going to talk about it today, because lately, I have been trying to learn a bunch of different chords on it, so I can play a bunch of different songs.
For the past year, I've gotten by with four simple chords: C, G, A minor, and F. Those four chords are the chords that every pop song uses, and all the songs I wanted to learn were made of those chords. Sad, right? Some songs with those four chords are: I'm Yours by Jason Mraz, What Doesn't Kill You-that annoying song-by Kelly Clarkson, and Little Talks by Of Monsters and Men (I LOVE that band!).
Now I don't know why people who have a bunch of money can't be more creative and use maybe, like, five chords instead of four? Or what about a different chord progression than the normal 2-5-1-4 thing (if you don't know what that is, you can go to the site and it will explain it)?
I tell you, it's really easy to get by with those four chords, but you can't really call yourself a ukulele player if those are the only chords you know. So, I found a song that didn't use that chord progression, and I learned it. The song was Charlie McDonnell's Time To Reply. It's a song that was featured in one of his videos, and I liked it, so I looked the chords up online, and learned them really fast. What I really want to do, though, is play his Duet With Myself on the ukulele. Except, I would replace the "together, we make a perfect Char-lie" with "together, we make a perfect A-ki," and some of the other stuff in that song about making YouTube videos. It's the strumming that's the hard thing to do. But that's my new goal now!
Fun Fact: Did you know that in Hawaiian, Ukulele means "jumping flea?" How cool is that!?

No comments:

Post a Comment