Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Books into Movies: The Good and the Bad

After my blog entry from yesterday, I thought I would discuss the books that have been turned into movies, and give my opinions about them. So, I am going to start at the top of the list, Ender's Game. It's not a movie yet. It's in the process, and IMDb states that it is  in its post-production stage. It stars Asa Butterfield(Hugo, Boy in the Striped Pajamas) as Ender, and I don't think that they could do any better with choosing an actor. Harrison Ford is also in it, and most of the main characters are well known actors and actresses. I'm really curious about how it's going to end up, especially because Ender is a character who thinks through everything- so we'll see. I'm really looking foreword to it.
Next up is number 7, To Kill a Mockingbird. I actually didn't see the whole movie. When we watched it in school we watched it in two days, and I wasn't there the second day to finish the movie. I probably should watch the whole thing. From what I saw of the movie(and Gregory Peck), it was really good.
I didn't even know that Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life was a movie! It only has a 6.4 on IMDb, so I might not even watch it.
Now we come to The Hunger Games. The movie was pretty good, in my opinion. It wasn't the best, and it certainly wasn't better than the book. I thought the cast was amazing, and the sets were really good, but I feel as if the world of Panem is way to complicated to explain in a movie. I still can't wait for Catching Fire, and every single day I wonder who is going to play Finnick Odair.
The whole Harry Potter series was really good. I think my favorites are the Prisoner of Azkaban, The Goblet of Fire, and The Deathly Hallows Part 1. Everyone did a really good job in general. There are some amazing actors in that movie(Gary Oldman, Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith)  and they did a really good job of sticking to the plot. If you stick to the plot in a movie, I usually end up liking it.  If you don't stick to the plot, then the movie is going to be terrible(example: The Lightning Thief and Inkheart).
Tuck Everlasting was eh. It wasn't really that good. I genuinely don't believe that it's a book that should be turned into a movie, just like The Giver should NEVER EVER become a movie. I didn't think that Tuck Everlasting the movie portrayed the same lesson as the book did. There was way too much romance going on, and I think that the movie totally disregarded the fact that the book was about fearing death, not about the action.
The Lord of the Rings. Don't get me started on how AMAZING those movies are. They are some of my favorite movies of all time, and I just hope that The Hobbit is just as amazing.
I saw The Help before I read the book. I really wish that I hadn't. I think that's because the book had so much more content than the movie(most books do have more content than the movie), and I kept on referring back to the movie while I was reading, which is something that you should never do. I thought the movie was really good, and the actress who played Minnie totally deserved that academy award for that role. I also think that Jessica Chastain did a really good job as well.
The last two movies, Sarah's Key and From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankwieler, are movies that I haven't seen. I think I'll watch Sarah's Key someday, but the other one, Mrs. Basil, is a German film made in the 1970's, and I have no desire to watch it.
Wow. This post is really long. Those are my thoughts on my favorite books that have been turned into movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment