Friday, July 6, 2012

My Thoughts on Comic Books

I saw The Amazing Spiderman today, and it got me thinking about comic books.
First of all, let me say that I am not an avid comic book reader. I think that they're good, but I don't read them constantly. I really like the origins of the characters in comic books, like I really like Spiderman's origin story and I like the whole mutant v. human kind topic in X-men. But the thing is, some things in comic books are really hard to pick up because they've been going on for so long. Just picking up an issue of X-men poses problems for me, because I don't know who everybody is, and after I understand who everyone is, then I have to figure out what their powers are. It's a very long process, and I think I've read the list of characters in X-men about four or five times on Wikipedia. If you do click on the link, you will find a very very very long list. Even though I've dedicated quite an amount of time to understanding the characters, the only ones that really stick into my head are the ones from the movies.
There is also the issue of the villains dying, and then somehow always coming back alive. For instance, Dr. Doom always comes back to haunt the members of the Fantastic Four, even though he should have died about forty years ago.
The comics I enjoy reading are Spiderman and Fantastic Four. I like these because the characters are easy to keep track of, and it's not at all dark. I'm not really a dark person, and I think that's why I don't really enjoy reading Daredevil or Batman(but, the Dark Knight trilogy is AMAZING!). I like how witty Spiderman is, and how the comic books are really light hearted. Fantastic Four, I like because of the relationship between Reed, Sue, Johnny, and Ben. I also like the kids, Valerie and Franklin, and how smart they are.
The comics I do read, though, aren't that up to date. I read the ones that are selling at the comic book store for about 25 to 50 cents each. I don't really want to spend three dollars an issue for a twenty page story, even if the illustrations are really good.
I've seen a lot of superhero movies lately, and I'm REALLY excited for Dark Knight Rises! I think that The Amazing Spiderman that I saw today, was a good movie, mostly because I believe Andrew Garfield did a better job at portraying the complicated character of Peter Parker than Tobey Maguire. I also think that this version was easier to follow, and the details of Peter's origin explained a lot about his actions. I would give the movie a 7.5 out of 10, and would recommend it for pretty much everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment